Skip to main content

A CrossFit Family

My husband and I have 4 kids, 14, 9 & 5 year old twins.   I had just retired from Pottstown’s local Women’s Roller Derby team, my husband was looking to shed a few pounds and my kids had outgrown the YMCA one at a time over the last few years.    This was the perfect time for our family to look at a new kind of sport that we could all enjoy together.    Pottstown CrossFit peaked our interest.   Of course we all saw the CrossFit Games and loved it!  Every time we drive up Hanover Street there are people of all ages, shapes and sizes doing all kinds of fun looking things on the sidewalk like throwing balls at the walls, jumping up onto high platforms, rowing.  We had to try it.
 
My twins and my 9 year old started in the kid fit class.  If the kids weren’t into it we couldn’t let the Y membership go and make the switch.    The next day the rest of us tried it out.  To say it was love at first workout is an understatement.  We were all hooked.  My 14 year old has shed time off her mile and improved her soccer game.  My 9 year old took precious seconds of her swim times and is stronger in her dives and pushes off the wall.  My twins have made noticeable improvements in their mobility and coordination.  My 5 year old son went from stepping over the jump rope to jumping like a pro in a matter of weeks.  

These kids won’t go anywhere without a jump rope.   My favorite thing has been the boost in their self confidence and pride in their accomplishments in CrossFit.    My nine year old will show anyone who will watch her how great her pulls ups are.   I could fill this page with the things they have celebrated after a WOD.  It’s amazing to hear my kids talk about squats, kettlebells, cleans and pushups.  

My husband and I have reaped the benefits of Pottstown CrossFit as well.  He has lost 30 lbs and is free of chronic back pain.  I suffered a broken ankle in a jogging mishap (unrelated to CF) and the coaches helped me work around my injury.   As a result I feel my recovery was fast and my transition back to my active lifestyle was seamless.    We both have more energy and have adopted a modified Paleo diet that really seems to work well for our family.  After retiring from derby I missed the sense of “team”.  CrossFit gives me that back.  The WODs have a team atmosphere and the Dragon Boat team gives me another opportunity to compete again.  

Pottstown CrossFit is a place where my family can be fit, have fun and try new things together. Best of all I don’t have to put my children in child watch so that I can work out.  They are right there with us watching or actually working out next to us.   My husband and I feel good that we maintain our health and know our kids are learning from us and the CrossFit community.    Rob Matthews has created a true family experience in Pottstown.  We are proud to be a part of it.

-          - Jen  C., Member Since February 2014
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IACFP Sam 01

IACFP Gina